Creamy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
This is a really tasty and easy to make winter warmer of a soup. Roasting the vegetables first really brings out the flavour but you can omit this step and add them straight to the pan if you’re short on time.
- 500g sweet potatoes*
- 300g carrots*
- 1 large cooking apple
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 500ml milk – Can be cows milk or plant milk
- 1 tsp cumin powder – Curry powder can be used instead
- Salt and pepper to season
*The carrot and sweet potato weights are approximate as the weights clearly vary – use slightly more rather than less
- Put the oven on at 200 C.
- Peel the carrots and sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch sized pieces. Place on a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Put them into the oven and roast for about 30 minutes until the veg are softened.
- Peel and slice the onions, apple and garlic. Put into a large pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon cumin or curry powder and saute on a low to medium heat until softened.
- Add carrot and sweet potato together with the vegetable stock and the plant milk.
- Cook on medium heat until simmering.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Blitz to a smooth texture using a hand blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve with crème fraiche or coconut soya yogurt if vegan and leaf decoration e.g. basil or mint together with large slices of fresh sourdough bread.
It keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days if needed.